I am Sean Reilly and I am asking you to Vote 1 Reilly
I am very proud to be an independent community pharmacist since I qualified in 1992.
I am the superintendent pharmacist and I face customers daily in my sole store.
Our profession needs to aspire to the highest achievable standards to flourish. This is always going to involve challenges as workflows will constantly modernise into the future.
We are currently getting to grips with formally recording our CPD, very soon we will be challenged by electronic prescribing and the Falsified Medicines Directive.
Well-motivated, well rested pharmacists are essential to ensure delivery of top class patient safety.
I want to make sure that the systems the PSI puts in place around these particular initiatives, and all others, are part of the solution for all pharmacists, not just the very well resourced.
Routine notified inspections were a sensible move forward by the stakeholders. I want to build on from there.
The current PSI setup is often accused of approaching its constituents with the view that low standards and errant behaviour are the norm and only for their strict invigilation patients are threatened. I will not accept this position. As we all know, the vast majority of our colleagues are caring, extremely highly trained and competent professionals.
Regulation should be at least as much about encouraging buy in to high standards as it is tough on those unwilling to comply.
I will work night and day to get PSI to accept this as the opening position in all future proposals.
I standing for election because:
- I have witnessed at first hand, on a couple of occasions, the shattering blows to confidence of young pharmacists on initial contact with the complaints procedure, complaints that were subsequently not upheld. It will be my priority to review the fitness to practice system ensuring entry to it is an absolute last resort.
- A desire to build on the effective work of my predecessors coming off Council I am very keen for my supporters to vote 2 Cantwell
- Over the last decade I have represented my colleague pharmacists in many forums, it is very important to me to put back into our community what I can. Some roles where I have previously put myself forward for election, successfully
- Elected to IPU Executive committee and served for six years
(Involved in strategic direction and policy setting at a national level, with experience of what worked well and the obstacles of what did not)
- Chairman of the independent Life Pharmacy symbol group
(Strong representation of colleagues in a new direction for independent pharmacists.)
- Served on the IT subgroup within the IPU.
(Familiarity with the technical aspects of ePrescribing, software standards and FMD requirements)
- I have wide experience of three different approaches to quality systems, their implementation and supervision. As a licensee of all the PSI, HPRA and the IAA (aviation). I can bring a different, lateral perspective to the table.
Please VOTE 1 REILLY and continue your preferences #2 Nicola Cantwell, rest of my community colleagues